safely remove 4 beta 6 error with USB 2 PCMCIA Cardbus

stingmisc

safely remove 4 beta 6 error with USB 2 PCMCIA Cardbus

Post by stingmisc »

Hi, it's the same problem like in beta 5. Sorry I didn't give the log on beta 5 but on this one the problem is the same.

When there is no device attached to the USB PCMCIA Card, I still see NEC PCI to USB open host controller.

I am using a 2 usb port one but it shows 2 NEC PCI to USB open host controller and 1 more is NEC PCI to USB enhanced host controller.

I see that 3 things when I mouse over to the safely remove icon, but there is no device attached to it at all. only those 3 things above that I see

Now, when I try to attach my flash disk, kingston, it still the same nec pci to usb thing. So I don't know which one to stop. In beta 4, I get the kingston when I mouse over so I know which one to stop.

Now, when I stop one of them, it stops everything on it. So if I have one port for flash disk and the other port for mouse, even though I stop only one, it stops everything on my USB to PCMCIA card.

Now, going back to the previous thread on this one

http://safelyremove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108

you ask me if I can see the device in native safely remove, the answer is yes. As a matter of fact, there is no problem in beta 4 like I already explain before. It starts giving problem with beta 5 and now beta 6.

Also bring the device back, it brings all the device back not the one that we want only.

you also ask me about getting the technical information on device properties. I have no idea how to get it. Would you be able to explain to me how to get it? I will get it asap.

send me an email if I don't reply this post in 1 day. I usually forgot to keep track because of work. So sorry if I didn't answer it in the other thread.

I hope I explain the error/bug clearly. sorry for my english...

my email is <deleted>
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Stingmisc,
thanks a lot for so detailed descriptions!

Regarding technical information which I'd like you to send me. Could you download and run our test tool aimed to get detailed technical information about devices on your computer, please? In order to do it, please follow these steps:
1. Download and unpack this file: http://safelyremove.com/upload/DeviceDump.zip to any directory, you will see here DeviceDump.exe application.
2. Connect some of your "invisible" drives to your PCMCIA card
3. Run DeviceDump.exe, it will create the dump file in the tool's directory - DeviceDump.log.txt.
4. Please send me the dump file and description of what devices you connected to the pcmcia card at the moment when you ran our test tool.
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

I try to attach it here...

http://rapidshare.com/files/134387835/D ... g.txt.html

please download it from there.

and please try to fix it as it's really annoying right now...
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

forgot... the device was usb flash disk.
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

has it been at least investigated by the creator of safely remove?

This beta 6 is really not helping me much...

please let me know the progress

thanks
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

stingmisc wrote:has it been at least investigated by the creator of safely remove?

This beta 6 is really not helping me much...
please let me know the progress
thanks
Stingmisc, thank you for the information! Yes, we have analyzed the information you gave us and now we are working on this problem.

If beta 6 is not useful for you, please use beta 4 until we release a fix for the problem. The beta 4 has an old device scanning mechanism which must see your devices. You can download beta 4 here: http://safelyremove.com/usbsafelyremovesetupbeta4.exe
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

yes, I already revert back to beta 4. However, the new feature of bring back the device on beta 6 is really cool. I hope you can find the problem soon.

Let me know what else I can help.

thanks
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

stingmisc wrote:yes, I already revert back to beta 4. However, the new feature of bring back the device on beta 6 is really cool. I hope you can find the problem soon.

Let me know what else I can help.

thanks
Stingmisc,
It's likely that we have fixed the problem. Could you download our development version and see if it is fixed or not?

Please get it here: http://safelyremove.com/upload/usbsafel ... ta7pre.exe
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

ok,I am trying right now... will update after this...
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

It is fixed already with build 7. However, there is still one problem. When I see the hidden devices, there are still 2 unknown devices. They are NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller. Both are the same.

What are they?

Thanks
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

stingmisc wrote:It is fixed already with build 7. However, there is still one problem. When I see the hidden devices, there are still 2 unknown devices. They are NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller. Both are the same.

What are they?

Thanks
These devices are your USB PCMCIA controller, one logical device per one USB port. I don't know why the developer of this controller decided to make this device required to being stopped (this device returns to the system 2 flags: 1) REMOVABLE = true - it means that it can be hot swapped and 2) SURPRISE_REMOVAL= false - it means that it cannot be removed without prior stopping). Perhaps the PCMCIA USB controller really required to be stopped before disconnection, so you have to stop these 2 devices when you want to yank it out. However usually such kind of hardware is a surprise removal hardware, so it might be a mistake of its developers. Try contacting vendor to know if it requires to be stopped or not.

If this device is not required to be stopped you can hide these 2 devices from the device menu in USB Safely Remove and forget about them. Just stop your USB devices visible in the menu.
stingmisc

Post by stingmisc »

yes, it's hidden and not too annoying to me. However, this behavior not only on PMCIA Card but also on USB hub.

just want to let you know about that though