Please, add an 'Unlocker' feature (I beg of you)

bull

Please, add an 'Unlocker' feature (I beg of you)

Post by bull »

Hello,

Well the desperate title of this topic say it all.

Here is my typical scenario:
USBSafelyRemove is 95% perfect for all my needs and I can't think of any other feature I need EXCEPT this 'Unlocker' feature. On my Windows XP I have installed a popular shell context menu app called Unlocker that I use frequently. Sometimes when trying to stop my 2.5 external hdd with USBSafelyRemove it notifies me that Explorer.exe is locking the process, this is sometimes and not always. I always sensibly close all folders and or file managers connected to this drive but this damn explorer process is sometimes still left behind as a child process which I can unlock easily with Unlocker with a right-click on the drive in My Computer. Currently in USBSafelyRemove the only option is to 'Force Stop' or even worse 'Kill process' and this is not sufficient; the latter working only to unnecessarily restart the whole of Windows Explorer.

I just propose if USBSafelyRemove had the same 'unlocker' feature just like Unlocker's.

please share with me your support and views
:)
Igor
Developer

Re: Please, add an 'Unlocker' feature (I beg of you)

Post by Igor »

Hi Bull,
I apologize for the delay with the response.

Actually "Forced Stop" = "Unlock" + "Safe Removal" so this feature is already implemented and if you see that Explorer locks your pen drive just press "forced stop" and your device will be unlocked first and then it will be stopped.
bull

Post by bull »

Igor wrote:Hi Bull,
I apologize for the delay with the response.

Actually "Forced Stop" = "Unlock" + "Safe Removal" so this feature is already implemented and if you see that Explorer locks your pen drive just press "forced stop" and your device will be unlocked first and then it will be stopped.
Igor,

Did you read my original post.

I was basically saying that "Forced Stop" was too 'harsh' to be using as it 'kills' the process outright which is not what I want. I do not want my taskbar disappearing and reappearing and amongst other things, whenever Explorer.exe. With Unlocker I can just Unlock from whichever process without actually killing the process

This is why you must add support for a proper 'Unlocker' feature that doesn't kill the process just unlocks it from it's handle like the app Unlocker does. Or you could simply add support for USBSafelyRemove to plugin with Unlocker on the menu.

Please this is the only thing I need.
bull

Post by bull »

Igor,

any info??
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Bull, I'm terribly sorry for the delay with the response.

Yes, I did carefully read your first message. And can repeat my first statement: "Forced Stop" actually acts the same as unlocker acts. It never closes programs but it just closes all connections of the programs to the external drive without closing of these programs. Also your screenshot you referred to is wrong, because pressing of "Forced Stop" button brings you this message:
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

I got it... you are using an old version of USB Safely Remove - 3.3 or earlier. Please update to the lastest one (4.1) to get the unlocker functionality in "Forced stop" button. You can download it here: http://safelyremove.com/usbsafelyremovesetup.exe
bull

Post by bull »

OK it's working better now, I just tried the new 4.2 beta :)

Please don't close this thread as I may need to do some further testing..