USB Safely Remove forum: rules on placement your ideas\bugs

Nikolay
Developer

USB Safely Remove forum: rules on placement your ideas\bugs

Post by Nikolay »

Please read some simple rules on placing your ideas, suggestions and bug-reports at USB Safely Remove's forum:
  • If you have an idea, found a bug or just wanted to ask something, try to find a similar thread on the forum. If you find it and a bug hasn't closed (or idea hasn't implemented) yet, feel yourself free to leave a comment to vote this issue. As more votes we have for the issue as more quickly we will implement it.
  • If you haven't found a similar idea or a bug on the forum, please create it and describe your problem or idea as more detailed as possible.
  • Create subject that explains your idea or bug in short!!! Please do not post here threads with subjects like: "I have many ideas!", or "I found a bug", instead create more specific subjects like: "Idea: Add ability to play sounds", or "Bug: The program doesn't stop LaCie 1Tb HDD".
  • It is recommended to place different ideas\bugs to different posts, to get other people to vote for your ideas
cslepage

Post by cslepage »

I very much like the notion of the safelyremove program launching directly from a USB drive.

My dream would be to plug in my USB drive, have safelyremove launch, then any number of programs launch afterwards.

What would also be cool would be if there was some way for the program to create a buffer on the computer the drive was plugged into, so that the user could unplug the drive without clicking anything, and safelyremove could then shut down that buffer. This might be beyond what any program could do, however.
cronno01

suggestion

Post by cronno01 »

In the page i couldnt find system requirements ..i had to download the program to see the requirements ...my first suggestion is to make a sys requirement tab so any user can know this
the second one is to have win98 compatibility ..this program has a better orientation towards that OS ...since Millenium W2k and wxp have this implimented , its better if you focus also putting win98 compat as of no program does this for this system , and is already difficult to connect usb devices to it , because of drivers issues .
I suggest this to you as i am a computer technician and i know of many people who still have /own old computers with win98 and usb ports and i always wondered if there is a program to safely remove ...i know of a way of making win98 have this safely remove ..but it only works in english ...many many users of other languages like spanish can get lost with this ...
hope it helps and nice effort :D
natethibodeau

Post by natethibodeau »

Nice program. Would like the option of sounds playing when a device is connected and disconnted(Vista does). Also, the ability to completely
hide devices from all of you programs menus. My printer as well as my usb hubs show up on there and I don't want someone to accedently click the wrong
one. Also, the ability to chose between having a baloon popup displayed(like what you have now) or a dialog box ( like windows Vista) when a device is
stopped.
Nikolay
Developer

Post by Nikolay »

natethibodeau wrote:Nice program. Would like the option of sounds playing when a device is connected and disconnted(Vista does). Also, the ability to completely
hide devices from all of you programs menus. My printer as well as my usb hubs show up on there and I don't want someone to accedently click the wrong
one. Also, the ability to chose between having a baloon popup displayed(like what you have now) or a dialog box ( like windows Vista) when a device is
stopped.
You can setup sounds via Device Properties menu. Also you can completely hide devices from quick menu.
BordeB

Post by BordeB »

I have autorun disabled on my pc but this stops my SanSisk Titanium U3 from autostarting the U3 Launchpad when I insert it to my pc

I know USB Safely Remove has an autorun feature but does this work when the program to launch (U3 Launchpad) is on a USB stick?

if not, a suggestion would be to have an option to enable/disable autorun from U3 drives
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

BordeB wrote:I have autorun disabled on my pc but this stops my SanSisk Titanium U3 from autostarting the U3 Launchpad when I insert it to my pc

I know USB Safely Remove has an autorun feature but does this work when the program to launch (U3 Launchpad) is on a USB stick?
Sure this option will work for programs located on USB Stick also. Just connect your pen drive into computer, find your device in USB Safely Remove stop menu, launch its properties (right-click at device item and select "Device properties" menu item). In the properties dialog you should switch to AutoRun tab, enable option "Launch file or program after device plugging" and specify path to launchpad application (just press button '...' and in Open Dialog select this file).

Please, let me know if this helps.

Thank you for your inquiry.
BordeB

Post by BordeB »

Hi,

thanks for your fast reply,
I tried what you suggested and it works partially
sometimes windows assigns a different driveletter to devices and the the Launchpad.exe can't be found
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

BordeB wrote:Hi,

thanks for your fast reply,
I tried what you suggested and it works partially
sometimes windows assigns a different driveletter to devices and the the Launchpad.exe can't be found
USB Safely Remove has special feature for this case.

You should remove drive letter in the specified path and USB Safely Remove will add assigned drive letter automatically. For example, if you had this path:
F:\launchpad.exe, you should change it to \launchpad.exe.

P.S. If you select path to launchpad via "..." button, USB Safely Remove automatically removes drive letter, if it finds out that path belongs to selected device.
BordeB

Post by BordeB »

thanks for the reply
my U3 drive shows up as 2 drives (1CD and 1USB), when I select the .exe on the CD it doesn't work (not even when I remove the driveletter) and when I select the one on the USB it works ok (even with driveletter)

so it works now, thanks again
daimon

Post by daimon »

ohm my suggestion is ... reverse remove ^^

Ok here is what I would like to have .. I have no clue is it even possible to do but ..

I have buffalo's external hard disk connected. Now.. I can easily disconnect it with this nice little app you have done here but the problem is that I don't know how to wake it up again with software.

My buffalo have this auto-shutdown feature which makes the drive to shutdown after I have disconnected it. If I want to power it up again I have to manually go under my damn table and turn the hard-disk's power switch Off and On so it will turn on without restarting my PC (yeah the disk will power up on itself when computer reboots).

But that's basically what I need and it would be great to bundle that feature in the same pack if it's possible. Just tell me if you don't understand a word I just tried to explain above there because I'm not even sure do I understand what I wrote :p

Thanks. D
¤´¨) Finnish Translator
-¸·´¸·*¨) ¸·*¨)---
(¸·´ (¸ ·` We are Dreamers & Makers, Sleepers & Wakers
GodSpeed

Post by GodSpeed »

I understand :) I have the same problem....
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

daimon, I understand you clearly. Yes, this functionality would be very useful. So we will implement it in one of the nearest versions. Of course, if it's possible to do.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

BordeB wrote:thanks for the reply
my U3 drive shows up as 2 drives (1CD and 1USB), when I select the .exe on the CD it doesn't work (not even when I remove the driveletter) and when I select the one on the USB it works ok (even with driveletter)

so it works now, thanks again
To be totally honest with you, the U3 features are not really required to store or run programs off a flash stick. In fact, many people in the know, find the feature quite useless, as I do and avoid U3 altogether. It's more hype and not really worth while.
If I've ever bought a good size flash stick and it had U3 installed, I would format the stick before installing anything. Less hassles and peace of mind. You don't need all the other crap that comes with some sticks either, such as Google or Skype, etc.
A flash stick is merely for storing files or programs and all PCs and Notebooks/Laptops, for you ancient people, can boot into Windows, then you can safely run any programs or files stored on the flash drive(s).

I also run other O/S's from a flash stick, such as LINUX and still, don't need U3 or any other nonsense. Just set you BIOS to allow your PC to boot from the stick and everything will be peachy.
If you think Experts are expensive, wait 'til you see how much Amateurs will cost you!
phCole

Post by phCole »

hello
[I'm sorry for my poor English.......]
I have some suggestions:

First, the program doesn't work well with Multi Byte Character Set(such as Chinese Language, one chinese character needs 2 bytes). The sentences are tanscated and the characters at the end are not shown. I have to add one or more spaces to each sentences in the language file to make the sentences shown correctly. Is there any better solutions ?

Second, I hope there are two options to control the time of mouse over tray icon to the pop window shown and the time of mouse leave the tray icon to the pop window disappeared. The program is so sensitive that mouse just passes by the tray icon, the pop window shows, even I don't want to visit it. The time between the window shown and hide is so lang. I feel very bad when the window coverd my Windows Sidebar.

Thinks
[Fantasitic]