Virus found USB Safely Remove\usr.exe

NSteele

Virus found USB Safely Remove\usr.exe

Post by NSteele »

Need to some help here.

I downloaded and installed the USB Safely Remove on my computer on Monday. This morning when I ran my scheduled Spyware Doctor scan I was notified that Spyware Doctor had found backdoor.hupigon.GEN in the USB Safely Remove\usr.exe file. Here is what pctools has to say about this: http://www.pctools.com/en/mrc/infection ... upigon.GEN

I downloaded the program from your website so I am a bit surprised that this has popped up.

Has anyone else found this, have there been any reports about false positives with the usr.exe file?

More importantly, should I go ahead and let Spyware Doctor remove this file? If so, wouldn't that kill the USB Safely Remove functionality on my computer?

Thanks in advance, I really love the program and hope that I do not have to remove it.

BTW, in case the question comes up: Windows XP SP2
Igor
Developer

Re: Virus found USB Safely Remove\usr.exe

Post by Igor »

NSteele wrote:Need to some help here.

I downloaded and installed the USB Safely Remove on my computer on Monday. This morning when I ran my scheduled Spyware Doctor scan I was notified that Spyware Doctor had found backdoor.hupigon.GEN in the USB Safely Remove\usr.exe file. Here is what pctools has to say about this: http://www.pctools.com/en/mrc/infection ... upigon.GEN

I downloaded the program from your website so I am a bit surprised that this has popped up.

Has anyone else found this, have there been any reports about false positives with the usr.exe file?

More importantly, should I go ahead and let Spyware Doctor remove this file? If so, wouldn't that kill the USB Safely Remove functionality on my computer?

Thanks in advance, I really love the program and hope that I do not have to remove it.

Hello,
Sometimes antivirus programs find "viruses" in the program, but always it was only false positives. What version have you downloaded?
Starting from the version 4.0 beta 8 we have sign all our executables by Verisign certificate, you may try to check signature on file to know if this file is original or it was modified by a virus.
NSteele

Post by NSteele »

Igor wrote:

Hello,
Sometimes antivirus programs find "viruses" in the program, but always it was only false positives. What version have you downloaded?
Starting from the version 4.0 beta 8 we have sign all our executables by Verisign certificate, you may try to check signature on file to know if this file is original or it was modified by a virus.
Thanks for the response.

I do suspect it may be a false positive but need to confirm that.

The version I downloaded and installed was 3.3.1.617 because I am always hesitant to install beta's. Unfortunately this means checking for the Verisign signature is not an option for me.

Perhaps I should quarantine the usr.exe file that has been flagged and install the 4.0 beta version
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

NSteele wrote:
Igor wrote:

Hello,
Thanks for the response.

I do suspect it may be a false positive but need to confirm that.

The version I downloaded and installed was 3.3.1.617 because I am always hesitant to install beta's. Unfortunately this means checking for the Verisign signature is not an option for me.

Perhaps I should quarantine the usr.exe file that has been flagged and install the 4.0 beta version
The final version of 4.0 will out today, so you may upgrade to it.
NSteele

Post by NSteele »

Thanks, I will do that
Sunfire

Post by Sunfire »

USB Safely Remove is certainly not a virus. Here is the virus total scan for Usb safely remove. Also if it makes you feel any better I have been using the program for quite some time now and have had no problems.

But this report shows the scan results of pretty much every credible anti virus solution out there. I would recommend you get a better one so that you do not get so many false positives.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c607 ... 90a21e42f4
NSteele

Post by NSteele »

Sunfire wrote:USB Safely Remove is certainly not a virus. Here is the virus total scan for Usb safely remove. Also if it makes you feel any better I have been using the program for quite some time now and have had no problems.

But this report shows the scan results of pretty much every credible anti virus solution out there. I would recommend you get a better one so that you do not get so many false positives.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c607 ... 90a21e42f4
Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, the program I use is Avast! which is a very good AV program which has not found any false positives until it came up with this one with usr.exe. I would say once incidence is not to be considered so many false positives. It happens.

Thanks again for the response.
Sunfire

Post by Sunfire »

Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, the program I use is Avast! which is a very good AV program which has not found any false positives until it came up with this one with usr.exe. I would say once incidence is not to be considered so many false positives. It happens.

Thanks again for the response.
Ah my apologies! When you said spyware doctor, did not remember that it was Avast!. In that case you should be fine.
NSteele

Post by NSteele »

You know, you are absolutely right, it was Spyware Doctor!

I was thinking about the wrong computer. Spyware Doctor did find it on a different computer but again, I have not really had more than 1 or 2 false positives with that program as well.

At any rate, I now know that it was indeed a false positive.

Once again, thanks!
Alston

Post by Alston »

Hello All
I have the problem of virus in my pen drive i safely remove the pen drive in my system but always virus are found in the system and one other problem of that i scan the pen drive with latest anti virus updater but virus not found in the pen drive and when i open the pen drive at that time auto run folder create in the pen drive so what can i do to remove that???
Thanks..
danieljones2006
Location: suite no.-20, apartment-5, Near W21st street,Zenia,California-95595

Post by danieljones2006 »

Common this is not a virus. it shows up only when you try to disconnect any device from your computer. What is does is, it keeps the USB device safe and sound.