Can't get USB SafelyRemove to work

Oxa

Can't get USB SafelyRemove to work

Post by Oxa »

I downloaded and installed USB SafelyRemove from your website yesterday. I just can't get it to work. When I try to open the program, I get this error message:

"USB SafelyRemove.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being generated."

I can't find an error log anywhere. I'm using Windows 2000. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but that didn't help.

Thanks for any help.
Igor
Developer

Re: Can't get USB SafelyRemove to work

Post by Igor »

Oxa wrote:I downloaded and installed USB SafelyRemove from your website yesterday. I just can't get it to work. When I try to open the program, I get this error message:

"USB SafelyRemove.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being generated."

I can't find an error log anywhere. I'm using Windows 2000. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but that didn't help.

Thanks for any help.
Hello, thank you for the message!

Our program can work correctly with Windows 2000 starting from SP4. Do you have Service Pack 4 installed?

About the log. It's the system message, so probably Windows means System Log. To find it open "Control Panel" -> "Administration" -> "View events". May be there will be some addition information.
Oxa

Post by Oxa »

Yes, I have SP4 installed.

The event log shows the following:
"The ProtexisLicensing service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified."
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Oxa wrote:Yes, I have SP4 installed.
The event log shows the following:
"The ProtexisLicensing service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified."
ProtexisLicensing? It's not our program, and our program doesn't have such component. Please try to run USB Safely Remove again and see which messages will appear in the System Log.

Also, please look at "c:\Documents and Settings\<Your_account_name>\Application Data\USBSafelyRemove" directory. Are there any files? If yes, then please post it here.

And finally, please download the previous version of the program: http://crystalrich.com/USBSafelyRemove_3-2-6-602.exe and to see whether program will work or not.
Oxa

Post by Oxa »

OK. After trying to start the program a half dozen times on the first installation, then another half dozen times on the second, and always getting the same error message, I tried one more time and it finally started. I did nothing different! I can't explain the previous failures--gremlins, perhaps?

Anyway, the program is great! It recognizes my external hard drive, which I could never get Windows to do. I particularly like the hotkeys, customizable for different devices.

Thanks!
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Oxa wrote:OK. After trying to start the program a half dozen times on the first installation, then another half dozen times on the second, and always getting the same error message, I tried one more time and it finally started. I did nothing different! I can't explain the previous failures--gremlins, perhaps?
Oxa, thank you for the message! It's very good that everything has resolved. But ofcourse this is very strange behaviour. Probably our program have an intersection with another program (I've heard that ProtexisLicensing service is a component of PaintShop Pro. Do you use it?).

Anyway if you have any other comments on this issue, please write down them here.
Oxa

Post by Oxa »

No, no PaintShop Pro on my computer. I could not find any files on my computer associated with ProtexisLicensing. Although the registry had several entries for PL, I couldn't determine what software they were associated with. The registry said there were some PL files in the Program Files\Common Files directory, there weren't, so I don't know where the association came from.