It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:01 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New trial user having some issues that concern me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am
Posts: 3
Hi!

First post here! :) (I did send a prior email via contact form about some English problems on your site)

As a bit of background, I'm a very active poster/user of another software product (XYplorer) and found your software while checking on SnapFiles for another item.

I've installed and configured the appl, but find that it has some issues that would seem to be either bugs or improvements needed:

1) It found my flash drive on D: ...and... unexpectedly also my permanent hard drive C:, which seems illogical! You'd probably want to ignore the C: drive in most all cases.

2) I have a laptop that uses a media bay, and the Windows Remove shows my CD-ROM drive (one of three choices for that bay: Floppy/CD-ROM/2nd battery) as an option, but yours doesn't show it...ok, so it's not a USB device, but it's removeable! And I need to stop it to hot-swap.

3) Your appl also doesn't show my WiFi card or Modem card, both of which are PC Card slot devices, and which Windows Remove shows...lack of this ability also limits my usability of your product.

4) When I hover over the systray icon, the pop-up menu appears...fine, but it doesn't vanish when I move to next icon until quite a few seconds have elapsed, and until then covers up other parts of screen...I've got timing set in options to 1 sec but that didn't seem to affect it...if I move away from your icon, the pop-up should go away immediately without having to close it via a click or Esc key, as tooltops for others do.

5) Wish: You need to find a better way to handle icons for various devices as having 58 small files in USBImages uses a lot of extra dasd plus means having that many more files to scan for any anti-virus/file manager/etc...these should be in one combined file for efficiency of other applications...yes, any user custom files would need to be separate, but built-in ones would be much better combined into one module, such as the main one.

6) Minor Wish: Similar to #5, but for language files: Only install the needed files and suppress others...I deleted all the non-English ones plus the large Russian CHM help file to make application footprint smaller.

That's what I've found in first usage of this software...hoping that these issues may be resolved to make it a potential replacement of Windows Remove, but for now, I have to use both.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New trial user having some issues that concern me
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:24 pm 
Offline
Developer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 554
Location: Saint Petersburg
Hello!
Thanks a lot for so detailed wish list!

j_c_hallgren wrote:
1) It found my flash drive on D: ...and... unexpectedly also my permanent hard drive C:, which seems illogical! You'd probably want to ignore the C: drive in most all cases.

Your hard drive is listed because it's SATA drive and it's also removable drive. We can't hide drives having C: letter, because some people use another drive letter for system disk (ie D:, or E:). So we should find special Windows API functions that allow us to determine whether it's system disk or not. We will add this suggestion to our wish list.

j_c_hallgren wrote:
2) I have a laptop that uses a media bay, and the Windows Remove shows my CD-ROM drive (one of three choices for that bay: Floppy/CD-ROM/2nd battery) as an option, but yours doesn't show it...ok, so it's not a USB device, but it's removeable! And I need to stop it to hot-swap.

Probably it's a bug. Is this bay a USB device?

j_c_hallgren wrote:
3) Your appl also doesn't show my WiFi card or Modem card, both of which are PC Card slot devices, and which Windows Remove shows...lack of this ability also limits my usability of your product.

Yes, we've known about this problem. We will try to release fix in the next version.

j_c_hallgren wrote:
4) When I hover over the systray icon, the pop-up menu appears...fine, but it doesn't vanish when I move to next icon until quite a few seconds have elapsed, and until then covers up other parts of screen...I've got timing set in options to 1 sec but that didn't seem to affect it...if I move away from your icon, the pop-up should go away immediately without having to close it via a click or Esc key, as tooltops for others do.

Our default value for "delay befor hide the menu" is 2 seconds. It wouldn't be very long value. We've tested this time delay with aproximately 20 betatesters and they considered that it's optimal delay - it's not too long and it's not too short to hide the menu before you move the cursor from the icon to the menu area. Could you tell me, how many seconds do you see the menu before its hiding?

About options - there isn't any option to setup this value. Probably you've ve been confused by the option that sets up value of balloon tooltips (like "The device 'XXX' was inserted").

j_c_hallgren wrote:
5) Wish: You need to find a better way to handle icons for various devices as having 58 small files in USBImages uses a lot of extra dasd plus means having that many more files to scan for any anti-virus/file manager/etc...these should be in one combined file for efficiency of other applications...yes, any user custom files would need to be separate, but built-in ones would be much better combined into one module, such as the main one.

Of course, you are right - there is a little inefficiency, but it's very little. Because 52 files is only 0.2 percents from all files count located on my Program Files (I don't have a lot of programs).

j_c_hallgren wrote:
6) Minor Wish: Similar to #5, but for language files: Only install the needed files and suppress others...I deleted all the non-English ones plus the large Russian CHM help file to make application footprint smaller.

We will split our installation files onto Russian and English (international) versions, and there won't be that large Russian chm. About language files - you are right, we could suppress any other files, but some users will be lacking in ability to change the language after installation. And again, there aren't so much files, and they doesn't have big size.

Thank you again for all these wishes and bugreports!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New trial user having some issues that concern me
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am
Posts: 3
Igor wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
1) It found my flash drive on D: ...and... unexpectedly also my permanent hard drive C:, which seems illogical! You'd probably want to ignore the C: drive in most all cases.

Your hard drive is listed because it's SATA drive and it's also removable drive. We can't hide drives having C: letter, because some people use another drive letter for system disk (ie D:, or E:). So we should find special Windows API functions that allow us to determine whether it's system disk or not. We will add this suggestion to our wish list.
Removeable? Ok, so after undoing a couple of screws, one can remove it, but I'd consider it permanently mounted...yes, I can hide it but it still seems that this is not ideal way to handle whatever drive(s) are NOT shown by Microsoft eject/remove, ok?

Igor wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
2) I have a laptop that uses a media bay, and the Windows Remove shows my CD-ROM drive (one of three choices for that bay: Floppy/CD-ROM/2nd battery) as an option, but yours doesn't show it...ok, so it's not a USB device, but it's removeable! And I need to stop it to hot-swap.

Probably it's a bug. Is this bay a USB device?
Not USB, but a special(?) Dell connector ...via M$ Remove, it shows in properties as "Location (0)", if that helps..
Igor wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
3) Your appl also doesn't show my WiFi card or Modem card, both of which are PC Card slot devices, and which Windows Remove shows...lack of this ability also limits my usability of your product.

Yes, we've known about this problem. We will try to release fix in the next version.
Glad to hear that! I have to eject those cards on occasion.

Igor wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
4) When I hover over the systray icon, the pop-up menu appears...fine, but it doesn't vanish when I move to next icon until quite a few seconds have elapsed, and until then covers up other parts of screen...I've got timing set in options to 1 sec but that didn't seem to affect it...if I move away from your icon, the pop-up should go away immediately without having to close it via a click or Esc key, as tooltops for others do.

Our default value for "delay befor hide the menu" is 2 seconds. It wouldn't be very long value. We've tested this time delay with aproximately 20 betatesters and they considered that it's optimal delay - it's not too long and it's not too short to hide the menu before you move the cursor from the icon to the menu area. Could you tell me, how many seconds do you see the menu before its hiding?[
About options - there isn't any option to setup this value. Probably you've ve been confused by the option that sets up value of balloon tooltips (like "The device 'XXX' was inserted").
The main problem I have is NOT when I want to access your menu, but when I'm 'sliding' mouse down the system tray and stay on your icon before moving to the next one...there needs to be a different delay when you go from your icon to your menu compared to moving to another tray icon. As far as to how long it stays, I'd guess about 2-3 seconds, but it should be only for as long as one either hovers on icon or moves up to your menu, IMO.
Igor wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
5) Wish: You need to find a better way to handle icons for various devices as having 58 small files in USBImages uses a lot of extra dasd plus means having that many more files to scan for any anti-virus/file manager/etc...these should be in one combined file for efficiency of other applications...yes, any user custom files would need to be separate, but built-in ones would be much better combined into one module, such as the main one.

Of course, you are right - there is a little inefficiency, but it's very little. Because 52 files is only 0.2 percents from all files count located on my Program Files (I don't have a lot of programs).
You may not see it as inefficient, but i try to keep my system tidy, and any small file (even 1K) takes a 16K cluster minimum here (FAT32) so 58 files requires 928K of disk min...and if every applic did this, I'd have thousands of extra files, as I have about 100+ programs installed...so if there was a way to combine the built-ins into one file, and yet have user files if added, would make it much neater...
Igor wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
6) Minor Wish: Similar to #5, but for language files: Only install the needed files and suppress others...I deleted all the non-English ones plus the large Russian CHM help file to make application footprint smaller.

We will split our installation files onto Russian and English (international) versions, and there won't be that large Russian chm. About language files - you are right, we could suppress any other files, but some users will be lacking in ability to change the language after installation. And again, there aren't so much files, and they doesn't have big size.
they may not be big, but I detest having extra unneeded language files on my system! For same reasons as #5...And IF I wanted to change language, I'd have to reinstall like I would do with other appl that do it differently...no big deal to reinstall...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New trial user having some issues that concern me
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:02 pm 
Offline
Developer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 554
Location: Saint Petersburg
j_c_hallgren wrote:
Removeable? Ok, so after undoing a couple of screws, one can remove it, but I'd consider it permanently mounted...yes, I can hide it but it still seems that this is not ideal way to handle whatever drive(s) are NOT shown by Microsoft eject/remove, ok?

It's not a bug, it's a feature :)
Earlier, some users complained that they cannot see and diconnect their SATA or Firewire devices, because native safely remove hardware tool doesn't display them. We especially add ability to display more devices than MS tool. So if you consider the device permanently mounted, you can just hide it.

On the other side, you are right - we shouldn't display the system disk, because it's impossible to disconnect it. So if we find a way to determine system disks, we will ignore them.

j_c_hallgren wrote:
Not USB, but a special(?) Dell connector ...via M$ Remove, it shows in properties as "Location (0)", if that helps..

Thanks. We will try to fix it in one of the next version.

j_c_hallgren wrote:
The main problem I have is NOT when I want to access your menu, but when I'm 'sliding' mouse down the system tray and stay on your icon before moving to the next one...there needs to be a different delay when you go from your icon to your menu compared to moving to another tray icon. As far as to how long it stays, I'd guess about 2-3 seconds, but it should be only for as long as one either hovers on icon or moves up to your menu, IMO.

It's too difficult to distinguish where is mouse coursor moving to. Because user can move mouse cursor to the menu via other icons (I.e., if there are 2 lines of icons in the system tray and our icon is at the bottom of the taskbar).

j_c_hallgren wrote:
You may not see it as inefficient, but i try to keep my system tidy, and any small file (even 1K) takes a 16K cluster minimum here (FAT32) so 58 files requires 928K of disk min...and if every applic did this, I'd have thousands of extra files, as I have about 100+ programs installed...so if there was a way to combine the built-ins into one file, and yet have user files if added, would make it much neater...

Ok, I understand your sentences. So, if any other people will vote for this issue to be fixed (or just will complain) - we will fix it ASAP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New trial user having some issues that concern me
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am
Posts: 3
Igor wrote:
On the other side, you are right - we shouldn't display the system disk, because it's impossible to disconnect it. So if we find a way to determine system disks, we will ignore them.
Or...just add a method via options where user can not only hide a drive, but alternatively ignore it totally, so user would be responsible for setting desired view...I think a safe default for this option would be "C:" as minimum.

Igor wrote:
It's too difficult to distinguish where is mouse coursor moving to. Because user can move mouse cursor to the menu via other icons (I.e., if there are 2 lines of icons in the system tray and our icon is at the bottom of the taskbar).
Ok, that's a valid concern...but IF I had a way to set that delay to a user defined minimal value (in milliseconds maybe? Or just seconds with fractionals?), such as .25 sec, then it'd be up to me to move my cursor quickly enough to jump on menu...otherwise it'd vanish soon enough so it'd not bother my use of adjacent icons.

BTW, I know it's totally improper English to use the "..." as I do, but it's a habit I've developed for email/forum that more closely resembles (to me) how one speaks...with pauses now and then! So just ignore the "..." if it bothers you! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New trial user having some issues that concern me
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:17 pm 
Offline
Developer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 554
Location: Saint Petersburg
j_c_hallgren wrote:
Or...just add a method via options where user can not only hide a drive, but alternatively ignore it totally, so user would be responsible for setting desired view...I think a safe default for this option would be "C:" as minimum.

We dislike to add a lot of options to the program, because it makes program more monstroidal. If we can make a decision we prefer to implement it in a code, instead of forcing user to make extra decision. It's our philosophy and philosophy of the program.

Igor wrote:
Ok, that's a valid concern...but IF I had a way to set that delay to a user defined minimal value (in milliseconds maybe? Or just seconds with fractionals?), such as .25 sec, then it'd be up to me to move my cursor quickly enough to jump on menu...otherwise it'd vanish soon enough so it'd not bother my use of adjacent icons.

We will think about this option. What do you think about another option (it was suggested by some another people) that disable popping up the menu? Do you like "one-click" feature, or you would be satisfied without it with "one right-click to the menu and one right click for stop"?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Crystal Rich Ltd © 2014 Powered by phpBB ©