Vista 32 Bit Privileges

BTrain

Vista 32 Bit Privileges

Post by BTrain »

After Installing USB Safely Remove 4 beta 6 I get this message when there is a file locked, "It is not enough system privileges to scan processes which are locking the device. This feature is only available in an administrative mode." I was using version 3.3 until yesterday and had never seen this message. I use Vista 32 Bit with a non administrator account.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

In the latest version we have implemented a new processes' detection mechanism which is safer (the previous one might lead to BSOD'es on some computer configurations) and faster. However it has one lack - it cannot work under non administrative account.

In future we will consider implementing an improvement which allows to install the program once in an administrative mode and then use it in non administrative mode.
ellison

Post by ellison »

Hello...
I get that same message for items such as a usb stick that i try to restart.I assumed that i did have an administrator account ,and i also installed this app as an administartor.
What am i doing wrong?I use vista 32 bit premium sp1
thanks in advance
ellison
l Ellison
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

ellison wrote:Hello...
I get that same message for items such as a usb stick that i try to restart.I assumed that i did have an administrator account ,and i also installed this app as an administartor.
What am i doing wrong?I use vista 32 bit premium sp1
thanks in advance
ellison
Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled?
andrzej

Post by andrzej »

I have the same problem as ellison.

I have an administrator account, I've disabled UAC and I still cannot see why I can't unmount an usb device (wd my passport essential). All I get is this message: "It is not enough system privileges to scan processes which are locking the device. This feature is only available in an administrative mode."

[Edit]
Fixed it - I turned UAC properly in Control Panet insted of unchecking it through secpol.msc

I would like it to work with UAC enabled though. Thanks in advance. ;)
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

andrzej wrote:I have the same problem as ellison.

I have an administrator account, I've disabled UAC and I still cannot see why I can't unmount an usb device (wd my passport essential). All I get is this message: "It is not enough system privileges to scan processes which are locking the device. This feature is only available in an administrative mode."

[Edit]
Fixed it - I turned UAC properly in Control Panet insted of unchecking it through secpol.msc
AFAIK, you have to restart the computer in order to get UAC work.
andrzej wrote: I would like it to work with UAC enabled though. Thanks in advance. ;)
Now we are working on UAC compatibility, hope this will be released in the next version.
brjohnsmith

Post by brjohnsmith »

Hi,

I have the same problem. I have two freecom external HDD and it works fine on Windows XP (both), but when I use Vista, freecom with 500GB is still workfing fine, but freecom 120GB doesn work, and I get the same message. I am using administrator accound and I dont want to disable UAC resource. It is the same when the HDD is IOMEGA external HDD.

So, do you already have a solution for the problem......

Thanks.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

brjohnsmith wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem. I have two freecom external HDD and it works fine on Windows XP (both), but when I use Vista, freecom with 500GB is still workfing fine, but freecom 120GB doesn work, and I get the same message. I am using administrator accound and I dont want to disable UAC resource. It is the same when the HDD is IOMEGA external HDD.

So, do you already have a solution for the problem......

Thanks.
Hi, we have only development version where this issue is fixed. You may try it now: http://safelyremove.com/upload/usbsafel ... -beta8.exe

Please let us know about your experience.
brjohnsmith

Post by brjohnsmith »

Hi Igor,

I am not sure if the final version (beta 8 ) is 4.0.7.728. If it is, I am afraid to say, but it didnt work. the message is the same.

Thanks.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

brjohnsmith wrote:Hi Igor,

I am not sure if the final version (beta 8 ) is 4.0.7.728. If it is, I am afraid to say, but it didnt work. the message is the same.

Thanks.
Hi Brjohnsmith,
1. Could you specify what message did you get?
2. Could you send us a bug-report (Menu -> Help -> Report a bug), in this case the program will send us technical information about your system and a debug log?
3. Could you send us one additional file: C:\USBSRServiceLog.txt to support@safelyremove.com?