How does a normal safely remove H/W works

harshkumar1

How does a normal safely remove H/W works

Post by harshkumar1 »

Hi,
Just a bit curious as to how does a Safely Remove H/W works.
What actually happens when I ask my system to Safely Remove the H/W, does it call USBDetach function in the driver or what does it actually do.
Moreover if I have a WebCam and if I continuously keep plugging the WebCam on to my system and unplugging it, is their a chance that it may cause a H/W problem to my WebCam. I understand about the power surge which may happen, but other than that is their some way by which WebCam H/W be damaged.
Plz reply...

Thanking you...
Harsh
Igor
Developer

Re: How does a normal safely remove H/W works

Post by Igor »

harshkumar1 wrote:Hi,
Just a bit curious as to how does a Safely Remove H/W works.
What actually happens when I ask my system to Safely Remove the H/W, does it call USBDetach function in the driver or what does it actually do.
I'm sorry but it's too difficult to explain how USBSR works as its source code has many thousands of lines. Perhaps if you explain why you need this information we may help you replying on more specific question.

harshkumar1 wrote: Moreover if I have a WebCam and if I continuously keep plugging the WebCam on to my system and unplugging it, is their a chance that it may cause a H/W problem to my WebCam. I understand about the power surge which may happen, but other than that is their some way by which WebCam H/W be damaged.
Theoretically constant plugging\unplugging of your webcam mustn't damage it, because USB is designed to plug\unplug devices. Practically it may happen if the device is not enough quality. In any case you shouldn't worry very much, your device is on vendor's warranty for some time.
harshkumar1

Post by harshkumar1 »

I actually wanted to know how can I do do it coz I am working on WINDOWS CE and one of my webcams SN9C101 actually stopped working after a few days. I am basically trying to write my own driver for this webcam. While retrospecting a few of my mates suggested that the camera must have been damaged by the constant plugging and unplugging. We have bought a new camera now, but do not want to lose it the same way. Hence suggest me as to what should I do.
Or else if you can explain it to me in a few steps as to what happens I would try to recreate a small application for my WINDOWS CE OS...
Thanx Anywys...
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

harshkumar1 wrote:I actually wanted to know how can I do do it coz I am working on WINDOWS CE and one of my webcams SN9C101 actually stopped working after a few days. I am basically trying to write my own driver for this webcam. While retrospecting a few of my mates suggested that the camera must have been damaged by the constant plugging and unplugging. We have bought a new camera now, but do not want to lose it the same way. Hence suggest me as to what should I do.
Or else if you can explain it to me in a few steps as to what happens I would try to recreate a small application for my WINDOWS CE OS...
Thanx Anywys...
Harshkumar1, USB Safely Remove uses Win32 API function CM_Request_Device_Eject to eject devices. Also you may find on the internet some samples of using of this function. However I'm not sure that this function is available on Windows CE.