Sata HDD stopped with USBSR doesn't show up after waking up

mad_m

Sata HDD stopped with USBSR doesn't show up after waking up

Post by mad_m »

Hi there.

I use USBSR to stop my backup HDD to sleep if I don't need it. Also I use the "sleep mode" (hibernation) of Win7 to safe energy when I'm not working on the PC.

Using USBSR 4.3 everything was really fine. The HDD was started (via command line) when the backup started and it stopped when the backup was done. Then the PC went to sleep mode, woke up, made another backup and so on.

But since I installed 4.4 with "power off the device after stopping" the HDD vanishes from the device list after the PC wakes up from hibernation. So I can't start the backup HDD anymore. Rebooting the PC again shows the HDD.

Disabling "power off the device after stopping" didn't help. Installing version 4.3 of USBSR didn't help either.

I didn't change my system. Just installed USBSR 4.4. Before that the HDD never vanished from the device list.

Oh, just a funny sidenote: Randomly (!) the HDD reappears on the device list when I connect a USB stick or a card reader to the pc and remove them. Then sometimes the HDD is again in the device list. But only as long as I don't send the PC to sleep mode. Also, I can't reproduce the "reappearing" since it's really randomly.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem to keep the backup HDD in the list of devices?

Greetings,
Michael.

PS: Refreshing the device list doesn't help!
Igor
Developer

Re: Sata HDD stopped with USBSR doesn't show up after waking

Post by Igor »

mad_m wrote: Disabling "power off the device after stopping" didn't help. Installing version 4.3 of USBSR didn't help either.
Does anyone know how to fix the problem to keep the backup HDD in the list of devices?
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your report and I apologize for the inconveniences.

Can you try to look for your drive in the device manager and:
1) Be sure that the device is not in the disabled state. Enable it in case if it's disabled.
2) Try to re-install the drivers for this device
mad_m

Post by mad_m »

Hi Igor.

Thanks for your answer!

The device wasn't shown in the device manager. And also, it didn't need a driver since it's an internal SATA device.

But I solved the problem some days ago: The HDD had a somehow loose connection. So maybe the minimal vibration when waking up from sleep mode made the HDD to lose contact.

Cleaning up the plugs and replugging helped. The connection is stable again.

Computers do really strange things ;)
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your information and I'm glad you solved the problem!