Using USB Safely Remove v4.7 (or earlier) causes BSOD

SoftCollector

Using USB Safely Remove v4.7 (or earlier) causes BSOD

Post by SoftCollector »

Dear All,

I have run into a disturbing problem with the latest (and also preceding version) of USB SR:

1. I have WinXP Pro SP3 installed.
2. I also have many other software titles installed among which Agnitum Outpost Security Suite (with which I think there can exist an incompatibility with USB safely remove, but this is just a guess).
3. Last night Windows started crashing with BSOD every time when I disconnect a USB flash drive (I have a several) or an external WD MyPassport SE.
4. I have reinstalled Windows twice since last night (using a Norton Ghost image), but every time I have run into the same problem both with the previous version of USB SR and the current one. I have used said image multiple times and it has never created any problems. The Windows build is the same and may not be updated to the latest, but it has been tried and tested.
5. So, it must be something installed after the image file is restored. Here is what I have added:

5.1. Agnitum Outpost Security Suite (the latest build)
5.2. OUTERTECH Linkman (the latest build)
5.3. OUTERTECH Cacheman (the latest build) with optimization of windows under the "laptop profile"
5.4. ERGONIS SOFTWARE PopChar (the latest build)
5.5. Harddisk Sentinel (the latest build)

One of these must be the culprit, but which one? I believe it must be Agnitum.

Please, help! I like USB SR and I am using it constantly - I have never had any problems with it - until now.

Kind regards,
SC

UPDATE: I have uninstalled USB Safely Remove and my computer still crashed while trying to use the Windows built-in safely remove option. Does this mean that a faulty driver is the culprit? I opened Device Manager and there seem to be some 10-15 different USB hubs listed, so how do I find out which driver to update/roll back? I am using HP EliteBook 6930p laptop.
Anton
Developer

Re: Using USB Safely Remove v4.7 (or earlier) causes BSOD

Post by Anton »

It seems the problem isn't related to USB Safely Remove. I recommend you to contact to Agnitum Outpost developers. I don't think you should reinstall or update any system drivers. Similar issues appear with PC Tools Firewall. It prevents USB Safely Remove driver to work properly. In your case the conflict causes the system to be crashed.
Ambit Energy

Post by Ambit Energy »

After trying to safely remove the USB, the message appears that the USB can't remove, there's an error.

Why this frequently I saw this message when trying to remove?

Can you explain to me please...?

Thanks

:roll:
John Galt
Ambit Energy, Sales Consultant
St. Louis, Missouri
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Ambit Energy wrote:After trying to safely remove the USB, the message appears that the USB can't remove, there's an error.

Why this frequently I saw this message when trying to remove?

Can you explain to me please...?
Do you stop the devices with USB Safely Remove? Have you tried to press the "Forced Stop" button in the stopping error dialog? If both answers are "Yes" - read answer in this topic, if "no" try to do both mentioned things.