SafelyRemove.com Forum
http://safelyremove.com/forum/

Korean Translation
http://safelyremove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=144
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Igor [ Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chelsona wrote:
H Igor,

I encountered a translation problem.
It's just a minor one but I thought it is worth reporting.

I didn't remember exactly what it was, but yesterday I saw a dialog with "yes/no" buttons.

The problem is that: "No" on the dialog button and "No" in the drive letter list is currently displayed as the same translated word.

In Korean, "No" can be translated to the following different words:
1) "A-ni-o": "No" with meanings of 'refuse', 'not true', 'not to do', and general negative response, as an opposite meaning of "Yes".
2) "Up-ssm": "No" with meaning of 'anything or anyone exists/available'.

The word 1) should be used for yes/no dialog boxes, and the word 2) should be used for drive letter assignment combo box.
I translated the word "No" as "Up-ssm" currently for the drive letter, and consequently I saw a dialog box with two buttons those captions are "Yes" and "Not exists" in Korean.

Since the translation language file consists of 1:1 matchings between English texts and other language's text, it may a bit hard to distinguish them.
But I think I should report it: similiar problem may occurs in other languages.

Chelsona, thanks again for your keenes of observation!


Are you sure, that "Up-ssm": means 'anything or anyone exists/available'? or you mean "nothing or nobody exists"?

If my supposition is true, I cannot remember dialogs in our program where we mean "not exists" by "No", I think you should use everywhere in translation "A-ni-o" because it's corresponds absolutely to our "No" meaning.

Author:  Chelsona [ Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Igor wrote:
Are you sure, that "Up-ssm": means 'anything or anyone exists/available'? or you mean "nothing or nobody exists"?

If my supposition is true, I cannot remember dialogs in our program where we mean "not exists" by "No", I think you should use everywhere in translation "A-ni-o" because it's corresponds absolutely to our "No" meaning.


Thanks for your comment, Igor.

Yes, you're right. "Up-ssm" means nothing/nobody exits. Please forgive my English mistakes. :)

A possible use of "Up-ssm" that I found is here: Device property menu - Drive property tab - Drive letter combo box. What I read was "No" choice at the top of the combo list means "No drive letter", in other words, "Drive letter is not exist(assigned).".

As I said before, It is just a minor problem.
I think every Koreans can understand "A-ni-o" in the drive letter combo as its proper meaning, even if the word itself seems misused a little. However they must feel something wrong when a "yes/no" dialog with "Up-ssm" button is popped up.
So it may good to let "A-ni-o" for "no" in the translation file as your comment.

Author:  Igor [ Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Chelsona wrote:
Igor wrote:
Are you sure, that "Up-ssm": means 'anything or anyone exists/available'? or you mean "nothing or nobody exists"?

If my supposition is true, I cannot remember dialogs in our program where we mean "not exists" by "No", I think you should use everywhere in translation "A-ni-o" because it's corresponds absolutely to our "No" meaning.


Thanks for your comment, Igor.

Yes, you're right. "Up-ssm" means nothing/nobody exits. Please forgive my English mistakes. :)

A possible use of "Up-ssm" that I found is here: Device property menu - Drive property tab - Drive letter combo box. What I read was "No" choice at the top of the combo list means "No drive letter", in other words, "Drive letter is not exist(assigned).".

As I said before, It is just a minor problem.
I think every Koreans can understand "A-ni-o" in the drive letter combo as its proper meaning, even if the word itself seems misused a little. However they must feel something wrong when a "yes/no" dialog with "Up-ssm" button is popped up.
So it may good to let "A-ni-o" for "no" in the translation file as your comment.

Ok. Let's change the Korean language file?

Author:  Chelsona [ Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Igor wrote:
Ok. Let's change the Korean language file?


Sure, here it is:
http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200812/02/14/Korean.lng

Thank you for your paying attention and kind responses to me.
Sometimes I worrying about that my questions may disturb your program development work. :D

Author:  Igor [ Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Chelsona wrote:
Igor wrote:
Ok. Let's change the Korean language file?


Sure, here it is:
http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200812/02/14/Korean.lng

Thank you for your paying attention and kind responses to me.
Sometimes I worrying about that my questions may disturb your program development work. :D

Thank you for the update! We are really happy to have such careful translator as you, and we are proud to know that program communicate with Korean users in a good wording. So it's Ok you asking us such questions.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/