Autorun Protection

aldaya

Autorun Protection

Post by aldaya »

Hi
I saw in the USB Safely Remove that he has the posibility of launch a program after plug into usb port.
I have an idea of protection against virus and malware, using this property, but the security of the protection need that the program launches before the autorun.inf. Like the MX One "Antivirus", he has a very good protection against autorun.inf based malware, but isn't very configurable.
If you can add this feature (launch program before auntorun.inf take the control), he add to the USB Safely Remove a good protection scheme.
regards and sorry for my English
Aldaya
Igor
Developer

Re: Autorun Protection

Post by Igor »

aldaya wrote:Hi
I saw in the USB Safely Remove that he has the posibility of launch a program after plug into usb port.
I have an idea of protection against virus and malware, using this property, but the security of the protection need that the program launches before the autorun.inf. Like the MX One "Antivirus", he has a very good protection against autorun.inf based malware, but isn't very configurable.
If you can add this feature (launch program before auntorun.inf take the control), he add to the USB Safely Remove a good protection scheme.
Aldaya
Thank you for your message. We will keep in mind your idea about launching programs before autorun.inf on development of the next version. Also we will consider adding into USB Safely Remove protection from "autorun" antiviruses into the next version.
Cactus Jack

Post by Cactus Jack »

aldaya wrote:Hi
Aldaya
Never mind! Just discovered that you added this capability to v4.1 beta 3. Thanks!

This is the very idea I came here to suggest! One thing that I would add: this function should apply to ANY storage device when it is plugged in. Currently, you can configure a program to run per device; I'd like to be able to configure an anti-virus scan to run on EVERY storage device as it's plugged in, with USB Safely Remove blocking any auto-run until after AV has run, or when I click a button to allow it to run.

Jack
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Cactus Jack wrote: Never mind! Just discovered that you added this capability to v4.1 beta 3. Thanks!

This is the very idea I came here to suggest! One thing that I would add: this function should apply to ANY storage device when it is plugged in. Currently, you can configure a program to run per device; I'd like to be able to configure an anti-virus scan to run on EVERY storage device as it's plugged in, with USB Safely Remove blocking any auto-run until after AV has run, or when I click a button to allow it to run.

Jack
Actually that's a bit different thing that was requested by Aldaya we have added to USB Safely Remove 4.1. It allows to run programs automatically on device connection. There are 2 setup capabilities, you can setup launching programs for certain device (via device properties) and setup launching programs for all connected devices via program options -> global autorun tab.

In future versions we will consider adding a feature to block native Windows autorun and\or to run programs before native Windows autorun.