[WISH] Compability with Truecrypt - a new parameter in start/stop scripts

pzYsTorM

[WISH] Compability with Truecrypt - a new parameter in start/stop scripts

Post by pzYsTorM »

Hi,

I use a batch file to mount a TrueCrypt volume on a USB stick:
TrueCrypt.exe /q /a /l k /m rm /v \Device\Harddisk1\Partition1

But sometimes the USB stick is not Harddisk1, it is Harddisk2 or 3...
And then my batch file does not work.

Is it possible to offer a third parameter %3 in start/stop scripts which contains the harddisk number?

It would be very easy, because this information is already available. In the last tab "technical information" there is:
SPDRP_PHYSICAL_DEVICE_OBJECT_NAME=\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+3
Igor
Developer

Re: [WISH] Compability with Truecrypt - a new parameter in start/stop scripts

Post by Igor »

pzYsTorM wrote:Hi,

I use a batch file to mount a TrueCrypt volume on a USB stick:
TrueCrypt.exe /q /a /l k /m rm /v \Device\Harddisk1\Partition1

But sometimes the USB stick is not Harddisk1, it is Harddisk2 or 3...
And then my batch file does not work.

Is it possible to offer a third parameter %3 in start/stop scripts which contains the harddisk number?

It would be very easy, because this information is already available. In the last tab "technical information" there is:
SPDRP_PHYSICAL_DEVICE_OBJECT_NAME=\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+3
Hi pzYsTorM,
Yes it's a good idea to pass some more additional parameters. We will consider adding this in the next versions of USB Safely Remove.
pzYsTorM

Post by pzYsTorM »

Hi Igor,

Thank You, so far.

There is a second wish for compability with TrueCrypt:

I have mounted a crypted USB stick partition to drive letter W:
When trying to "safely remove" the stick with your tool, it may occur that the stick cannot be unmounted because drive W is still mounted. I am asking myself: What are the blocked files... the open file handles? Normally my shut down script (see my first posting above) should unmount drive W. But something blocks it.

Your tool has the opportunity to list the open file handles if the usb device is a hard disk and cannot be unmounted.

On this screen I would like to have a drop down box to switch to drive W, so that I can see, which file handles are open on my TrueCrypt drive W.

SafelyRemove does not do this, because my usb stick does not directly register the driver letter W. My usb stick does register nothing, because there is no readable partitions on it. Drive letter W is registered by TrueCrypt - and so SafelyRemove does not show the file handles on drive W, when trying to remove ths stick.

A better option would be, to put the drive letter assignment in the "device properties" dialog (Ctrl+E) in place of the wished drop down box.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

pzYsTorM wrote:Hi Igor,

Thank You, so far.

There is a second wish for compability with TrueCrypt:

I have mounted a crypted USB stick partition to drive letter W:
When trying to "safely remove" the stick with your tool, it may occur that the stick cannot be unmounted because drive W is still mounted. I am asking myself: What are the blocked files... the open file handles? Normally my shut down script (see my first posting above) should unmount drive W. But something blocks it.

Your tool has the opportunity to list the open file handles if the usb device is a hard disk and cannot be unmounted.

On this screen I would like to have a drop down box to switch to drive W, so that I can see, which file handles are open on my TrueCrypt drive W.

SafelyRemove does not do this, because my usb stick does not directly register the driver letter W. My usb stick does register nothing, because there is no readable partitions on it. Drive letter W is registered by TrueCrypt - and so SafelyRemove does not show the file handles on drive W, when trying to remove ths stick.

A better option would be, to put the drive letter assignment in the "device properties" dialog (Ctrl+E) in place of the wished drop down box.
pzYsTorM, I'm sorry for the delay with the response. We have added an ability to see handles of "non-storage" devices in to the current development version. Could you test it? You may download it here: http://safelyremove.com/upload/usbsafel ... -beta8.exe
pzYsTorM

Post by pzYsTorM »

Thanks. It works without any problems. The blocking processes are quite interesting. But in case of a TrueCrypt USB stick its not helpful.

The list shows the following process:

System
|-- \Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+3
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

pzYsTorM wrote:Thanks. It works without any problems. The blocking processes are quite interesting. But in case of a TrueCrypt USB stick its not helpful.

The list shows the following process:

System
|-- \Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+3
It means that the device is being locked by the TrueCrypt's driver (all drivers are run under "system" process). Everything you may do in this case is just go to TrueCrypt control panel and dismount drive. In future our program will provide more services to interact with TrueCrypt.

P.S. I wonder, what happens if you press "Forced stop" in this case?
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Hi pzYsTorM,

We have released beta version of USB Safely Remove 4.1, which allows to pass physical device object name to the command line. Could you download it and see if it works in your case and is it convenient for you.

You may download it here: http://safelyremove.com/exe/usbsafelyre ... -beta2.exe
pzYsTorM

Post by pzYsTorM »

Hi Igor,

sorry, for the delay. I did not regurlarly check your website for new versions ;-)

The TrueCrypt mount and dismount feature is absolutely great. It works like a charm. There is nothing else to say than: Phenomenal. Big, big thanks! :-)
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

pzYsTorM wrote:Hi Igor,

sorry, for the delay. I did not regurlarly check your website for new versions ;-)

The TrueCrypt mount and dismount feature is absolutely great. It works like a charm. There is nothing else to say than: Phenomenal. Big, big thanks! :-)
Thanks for the tip. Great to hear that!

P.S. You said that you check our site not regularly. Does it mean that you don't receieve notifications from our forum?
pzYsTorM

Post by pzYsTorM »

One... last... thing :-)

The TrueCrypt window asking for the password for mounting the volume is always in the background... behind all other windows.

Would it be possible to switch it to the foreground and put the focus on it?
At the moment I have to minimize all windows, because there is no other chance to get to this TrueCrypt window, because it has no task bar entry.

And concerning the notifications:
There is the setting "Always notify me of replies"... I put this to "No"... Well, I really do not like so much mails. A forum lives, because I want to check it daily...weekly... and not because I receive a mail...
Then we could switch over to a mailing list instead of a forum ;-)
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

I have a problem with getting the information like "\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1 " out of the USBSafelyRemove variable '%PhysicalDriveName%' when the device is connected. The variable is just empty ("").
I need this information for TrueCrypt Volumes, which I did not format.

I do not use truecrypt with files, I encrypted the hole partition.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

pzYsTorM wrote:One... last... thing :-)

The TrueCrypt window asking for the password for mounting the volume is always in the background... behind all other windows.

Would it be possible to switch it to the foreground and put the focus on it?
At the moment I have to minimize all windows, because there is no other chance to get to this TrueCrypt window, because it has no task bar entry.
I'm sorry for the long response. We will look into this issue, but I cannot remember that I encountered this problem. BTW what version of TrueCrypt do you use?
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Schlitz wrote:I have a problem with getting the information like "\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1 " out of the USBSafelyRemove variable '%PhysicalDriveName%' when the device is connected. The variable is just empty ("").
I need this information for TrueCrypt Volumes, which I did not format.

I do not use truecrypt with files, I encrypted the hole partition.
That was a problem of the previous beta version (4.1 beta 3). In new beta-version we have fixed it. So could you see if it works for you?

You may get it here:
http://safelyremove.com/upload/usbsafel ... ta4pre.exe
pzYsTorM

Post by pzYsTorM »

Igor wrote: I'm sorry for the long response. We will look into this issue, but I cannot remember that I encountered this problem. BTW what version of TrueCrypt do you use?

TrueCrypt 6.1a with Windows Vista SP1
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

pzYsTorM wrote:
Igor wrote: I'm sorry for the long response. We will look into this issue, but I cannot remember that I encountered this problem. BTW what version of TrueCrypt do you use?

TrueCrypt 6.1a with Windows Vista SP1
We have checked this problem and we haven't encounter it neither on Vista nor on XP.

1. Do you have UAC enabled?
2. Also it maybe caused by another programs which manage your desktop or windows. Do you have some ones?