Drives will not stop

don

Drives will not stop

Post by don »

I downloaded USBSafelyRemove during your free giveaway in August. I finally found time to install today abut the setup program would not run because the file is corrupt. I went to the site and found a download button for what I thought was ver 4.1 but it downloaded ver 4.2 instead. Of course, the registration key did not work. Bummer.

I will gladly buy the program if I could get it to stop my USB devices. When I try to stop any device I get the cannot stop/close all programs dialog box. Two processes are listed (System and svchost.exe). When I click Stop processes, it tries to stop them but they are still there and the device still won't stop. I click Forced Stop with the same results.

Listed under system are several entries that look like this:

f:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001

and this:

i:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf

Listed under svchost.exe are several entries that look like this:

k:\$Extend\$Objld

and this:

l:\System Volume Information\tracking log

The device in question is a Maxtor 320GB hard drive partitioned into 4 drives. The sytem it is connected to is a HP Pavilion desktop with Vista Premium, 6GB RAM and an AMD quad-core Phenom processor.

The only way I can safely remove it (or any other USB drive) is to restart the computer first. Simply logging off and back on is no help.

Can you please tell me what is happening and why I can't stop my USB drives?

Thanks,
Don
Nikolay
Developer

Re: Drives will not stop

Post by Nikolay »

It seems that your system trying to index external HDD. You can try to disable indexing service.
Read details here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/ ... indows-xp/
allanon82

Post by allanon82 »

I have Windows7 and I've got the same problem...with an external USB Hard Disk I cannot remove it because of svchost.exe and system.
My indexing hasn't that drive in its folders, so it shouldn't be the cause a guess.
I'd like keeping my indexing service on...but for a try I can stop it.

Tnx,
Allanon
don

Post by don »

allanon82 wrote:I have Windows7 and I've got the same problem...with an external USB Hard Disk I cannot remove it because of svchost.exe and system.
My indexing hasn't that drive in its folders, so it shouldn't be the cause a guess.
I'd like keeping my indexing service on...but for a try I can stop it.

I've already tried turning off indexing. Didn't help. I didn't restart the computer afterwards and don't know if that would be necessary to apply the change.

It is a problem with hard drives only. My thumb drives stop without a hitch.

Don
allanon82

Post by allanon82 »

I tried stopping indexing but nothing changed to me too...I also restarted.
Maybe you're right, the problem it's only there with Hard Drives...but with thumb drive you mean flash drive (like Usb Pen)?
I'd like a solution to this problem :( I'm afraid that's a Windows 7 problem :(
don

Post by don »

Now I discover this problem also exists on my memory card reader. Disabling indexing does not help. I am really surprised the publishers of this software can not explain the problem and maybe provide a workaround.

So far we know:

Problem exists in Vista and Win 7
Problem exists for hard drives and memory cards
Problem does NOT exist on flash drives.
Disabling indexing on the drive does not help.
Rebooting the computer and immediately using the safely remove utility works.

Anybody here know a solution? Without a solution there is no good reason to buy the software.
trm

Post by trm »

>Listed under system are several entries that look like this:

>f:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001

>i:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf

I have the same problem (windows 7 64bit) - but I also have the solution.
I tried Unlocker which told me the processes are explorer.exe and searchindexer.exe. So I unlocked all processes which worked for the moment but then it was immediately back. I made sure that there were no open programs that could have grabbed the drive (like Windows EXploer, My Computer, etc). No go. So I did like one of the users did and stopped the indexing and Windows Search service. Didn't work. SafelyRemove reports that the problems are locked by System. It is a new system with very little on it and the external drive is used for backup only. I have already used Macrium Reflect with no problems but I wanted another source just in case, so I installed EaseUS Todo right before this problem started.

I had set EaseUS to use the external drive as it's default destination. This told me the problem was EaseUS. I looked at any of the program's background services running and terminated EuWatch.exe but that still didn't solve the problem.

The solution was to specify a different destination drive (Internal). Not the best solution and I was disappointed that USB SafelyRemove did not work (in fact this was the reason I was contemplating buying it), but this was the only solution. Of course I need the external drive to be the backup destination so I changed it back. Now if I want to do a backup, though, I have to do a full shutdown afterwards. On bootup, the Easeus program is not running - nor is its background service, so the external drive can be installed and removed without problems.

So my advice is with an error like that, a program is running that is using the drive as it's default. Could be a backup program or it could be a task.

Hope this helps others - and as for USB SafelyRemove - I hope they look seriously into this - judging from how old this post is, they have not.

Trm
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

It seems we finally found a way to overcome this issue and now the program can forcibly stop such stubborn drives. Anyone here is interested can download the latest beta version and see if it works for him: USB Safely Remove 6.0