Can I reactivate an external HD?

Miltiades

Can I reactivate an external HD?

Post by Miltiades »

Hello,
may I have please a question:

In which way can I disconnect an external WesternDigital-HD, that I can reactivate it again with 'USB Safely Remove' (and not to plug it again)?
I mean, is there a chance, besides disconnecting, that I can also reactivate this external HD?

Many thanks in advance
Miltiades
Anton
Developer

Re: Can I reactivate an external HD?

Post by Anton »

Hi Miltiades,

Thank you for your question.
I guess you mean this:
You also can return the device clicking on the device item in the stopping menu.
Miltiades

Post by Miltiades »

Hi Anton,
many thanks for Your answer!
But I've a problem with this:
When I stop with USBSR an external HardDrive (i.e. of WesternDigital), then the HD is no more appear in any menu of USBSR (like in Your image with the red cross), so I can't return the HardDrive back in this way!

Suggestions?
Miltiades
Anton
Developer

Post by Anton »

There's only one way to return the device back. In order to do this you need to reset a USB-hub, which is used to connect your device. Unfortunately the program looks for device by its PnP-name, so if the device isn't displayed in stopping menu the program doesn't know anything on the device and which hub it uses and can't return it back. I think we can add into the program an ability to reset specified USB-hub if that feature will be really useful.

Anyway please send us a bug report from the program (Help -> Report a bug), describe the problem and give us some info on the device you can't return (vendor, model, size etc.). We will try to investigate the problem with displaying that device.
Miltiades

Post by Miltiades »

Hopeful, that You possibly would add the feature to return a device back, instead to turn it always on manually.
Anton, there isn't a bug to send a report, when this feature doesn't already exists in the program ( :D ); I've describe the problem in my first post; device info:
Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II 4 TB Hard Drive ( WDH2Q40000; http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=210), several drives connected as well with FireWire800 as with USB 2.0.

Many thanks for Your efforts
Miltiades
Techland

Post by Techland »

This problem might be limited to external drives that have additional hubs/controllers and are not shown as 'drive' directly. So the interesting point here is: under what name does USBR list this specific drive?
Miltiades

Post by Miltiades »

Hi Techland,
USBSR is showing the drive at the 'visible' list either as
'WD My Book IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device' with a FireWire-port
or as
'WD My Book USB Device' connected with a USB-port.