"Folder Size" locks thumbdrives

coyote

"Folder Size" locks thumbdrives

Post by coyote »

"Folder Size" http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/ (which adds a Windows Explorer column) usually locks my USB thumbdrives. (Even if the drive isn't expanded in Windows Explorer, and even if Windows Explorer isn't open at all!)

On my XP Pro sp3 machines.

Can I (or the programmers please) configure USB Safely Remove 4.5.2.111 to ignore this process?

Thank you!
coyote
Igor
Developer

Re: "Folder Size" locks thumbdrives

Post by Igor »

Am I understand right that you need to automatically unlock all the connections of this process to a drive whenever you stop the thumbdrive?
coyote

Post by coyote »

Igor wrote:Am I understand right that you need to automatically unlock all the connections of this process to a drive whenever you stop the thumbdrive?
Yes, that is correct. (And I just remembered it happens with USB hard drives too.)
Thank you!
coyote
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

coyote wrote:
Igor wrote:Am I understand right that you need to automatically unlock all the connections of this process to a drive whenever you stop the thumbdrive?
Yes, that is correct. (And I just remembered it happens with USB hard drives too.)
Thank you!
coyote
Actually this is impossible right now (you can manually press the "Forced Stop" button though :)) but we will add this feature in the following versions.
coyote

Post by coyote »

Igor wrote:
coyote wrote:
Actually this is impossible right now (you can manually press the "Forced Stop" button though :)) but we will add this feature in the following versions.
Won't the "Forced Stop" button stop the Process completely? (I just want it's connections to the drive I want to remove stopped, I want the Process to continue running.)
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

coyote wrote:Won't the "Forced Stop" button stop the Process completely? (I just want it's connections to the drive I want to remove stopped, I want the Process to continue running.)
I apologize for the long response. The "Forced button" is smart button :) It stops the process completely only when this process is launched from the drive you are trying to stop. For all other processes it just closes their connections to the drive.
coyote

Post by coyote »

Igor wrote:
coyote wrote:Won't the "Forced Stop" button stop the Process completely? (I just want it's connections to the drive I want to remove stopped, I want the Process to continue running.)
I apologize for the long response. The "Forced button" is smart button :) It stops the process completely only when this process is launched from the drive you are trying to stop. For all other processes it just closes their connections to the drive.
I think I understand that, since the process is "launched from" a different drive (my operating system drive), the "Forced Stop" button will not stop the process, it will only close it's connections to the drive.

That's great news, thank you!
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

coyote wrote:I think I understand that, since the process is "launched from" a different drive (my operating system drive), the "Forced Stop" button will not stop the process, it will only close it's connections to the drive.
Sure, you understand this right
coyote

Post by coyote »

Igor wrote:
coyote wrote:
Thank you!
coyote
Thank you, I look forward to this feature in a future version. In USR 5.0.1 see
usr-force.jpg
usr-force.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 38456 times
that FolderSizeSvc.exe still locks. I also see that the drive's "System Volume Information" folder has a lock, which seems odd, since (as pictured) "System Restore" is turned off for this computer.

It would be nice to have these locks automatically dealt with someday.