Hot Key Assignment for Multiple Devices or Entire Port

Jeffray

Hot Key Assignment for Multiple Devices or Entire Port

Post by Jeffray »

Be able to stop multiple devices or the entire USB Port with one hot-key. I have a USB Hub which has three USB devices, a keyboard, mouse and a printer and use these devices every work day. At the moment I've assigned three hot keys to the three different devices and each night these three devices are powered down. :)
Igor
Developer

Re: Hot Key Assignment for Multiple Devices or Entire Port

Post by Igor »

Jeffray wrote:Be able to stop multiple devices or the entire USB Port with one hot-key. I have a USB Hub which has three USB devices, a keyboard, mouse and a printer and use these devices every work day. At the moment I've assigned three hot keys to the three different devices and each night these three devices are powered down. :)
Jeffray, thank you for the suggestion!
We thought about implementing of this feature during the long time :) We will implement it in one of the closest versions.

We are planning to make it as ability to group several devices in one. You can group your several devices in one composite device and then you will see one it in the device stop menu (together with another devices). You can assign this device a hotkey, you can rename it, you can stop it (stopping of this device means stopping of all its components).

Do you understand this idea? What do you think about its simplicity for user?
Jeffray

Post by Jeffray »

Hey Igor,
Thanks for your reply and the good news that you will consider to add this feature in an upcoming release. I'm so pleased with Safely Remove that I purchased it today. Prior to using Safely Remove I had a bad USB Port Driver that occasionally caused the BSOD (recoverable) when USB devices were plugged in. Now since using Safely Remove my PC is happier now and I sleep at night. 8)
Jeffray

Post by Jeffray »

The simplicity for the user will be excellent..... :P
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Jeffray wrote:The simplicity for the user will be excellent..... :P
Of course we will made it as simple as possible :)

Also we would gladly hear any comments\suggestions regarding this functionality from everyone who is interested in it.
DonLuigi

Post by DonLuigi »

1. I second this suggestion. I have several disks attached to my laptop and removing them several times a day, one by one - and waiting for each to detach - is a real pain. I am suprised this was not implemented sooner :o

Creating virtual device is a good idea that does not break existing concept.

2. One more thing: I use Windows XP with "focus-follows-mouse" (i.e. X Mouse) enabled. This prevents me from reaching detach window from tray icon, sice focus changes before I get to the window, which makes it dissapear.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

DonLuigi wrote: 1. I second this suggestion. I have several disks attached to my laptop and removing them several times a day, one by one - and waiting for each to detach - is a real pain. I am suprised this was not implemented sooner :o

Creating virtual device is a good idea that does not break existing concept.
Thank you for the comment, we will consider adding this feature in one of the closest versions
DonLuigi wrote: 2. One more thing: I use Windows XP with "focus-follows-mouse" (i.e. X Mouse) enabled. This prevents me from reaching detach window from tray icon, sice focus changes before I get to the window, which makes it dissapear.
Thanks again for the note. We will try to see if something is possible to do in the next versions.