Bug in ver 4.0 Beta 1

peni

Bug in ver 4.0 Beta 1

Post by peni »

When USB SafelyRemove is active in memory my PC not shutdown or restart, but if i finalize the process via task manager the computer shutdow ok

Edit:
XP Pro SP2 spanish with all patches
Last edited by peni on Apr 14th, 2008, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I've noticed the same thing and couldn't figure out what was going on. You can click on Turn Off computer or Reboot a couple of times and the PC will eventually shut down.
O.K. Igor, there's one bug for you.
:D
If you think Experts are expensive, wait 'til you see how much Amateurs will cost you!
Kilvearn

Post by Kilvearn »

Another little bug that I found :
When I'm in the options, the window become "unselected" after 2-3 seconds... If I select it back, after some seconds it becomes unselected again... (Perhaps it's the "Safely remove" window at the bottom right that always want to take the priority when it's open ?)
It's not a big problem, just a little bug that I noticed :-)

Ah, I think it also happens with the main window of the program...

But except this little problem, and the one mentioned by peni, the rest works perfectly for me :-)
Kilvearn

Post by Kilvearn »

I found another little bug :

On my screen, I have a multi-card reader. USB Safely Remove detects it, and it hides it without any problem in the Windows explorer. I also configured the program so that it hides its icon if there is nothing to eject.
The problem comes when I shut my screen and put it on again afterwards :
The green icon of USB Safely Remove stays at the bottom right, even if there is nothing to eject ! If I click on it, it says that there is no visible device, but it doesn't hide the icon... I have to quit the program and relaunch it (or plug and unplug an USB key for the icon to disappear (for example) )
Igor
Developer

Re: Bug in ver 4.0 Beta 1

Post by Igor »

peni wrote:When USB SafelyRemove is active in memory my PC not shutdown or restart, but if i finalize the process via task manager the computer shutdow ok

Edit:
XP Pro SP2 spanish with all patches
Midnight wrote:I've noticed the same thing and couldn't figure out what was going on. You can click on Turn Off computer or Reboot a couple of times and the PC will eventually shut down.
O.K. Igor, there's one bug for you.
:D
Hi guys!
Thank you for your messages!
We have just released USB Safely Remove beta 2 where this bug was fixed. I recommend to upgrade to this version.

You can download it here:
http://safelyremove.com/usbsafelyremovesetupbeta.exe
peni

Post by peni »

Ok. Now works fine for me. Thanks!! :D
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Kilvearn wrote:Another little bug that I found :
When I'm in the options, the window become "unselected" after 2-3 seconds... If I select it back, after some seconds it becomes unselected again... (Perhaps it's the "Safely remove" window at the bottom right that always want to take the priority when it's open ?)
It's not a big problem, just a little bug that I noticed :-)

Ah, I think it also happens with the main window of the program...

But except this little problem, and the one mentioned by peni, the rest works perfectly for me :-)
Currently the device stop menu popup itself only when the program found some hardware changes. So probably you found another bug - we interpret mistakenly some system notifications as hardware changes.

Coul you start the program with parameter /v (it generates more verbous log-file), see this bug several times (open options dialog and loose focus several times) and then send us a report (Main menu->Help->Report a bug)? The program sends the generated log file to our server.
Kilvearn wrote:I found another little bug :

On my screen, I have a multi-card reader. USB Safely Remove detects it, and it hides it without any problem in the Windows explorer. I also configured the program so that it hides its icon if there is nothing to eject.
The problem comes when I shut my screen and put it on again afterwards :
The green icon of USB Safely Remove stays at the bottom right, even if there is nothing to eject ! If I click on it, it says that there is no visible device, but it doesn't hide the icon... I have to quit the program and relaunch it (or plug and unplug an USB key for the icon to disappear (for example) )
I have similiar request - can you run program with "/v" command line parameter, reproduce this bug and then send us the report?

Please send two different reports so that we can distinguish problems.
Kilvearn

Post by Kilvearn »

Thanks a lot !

For my first bug, I sent you a report as you asked.
It's a strange one, but not really a big one, so it's no big deal...
I also noticed that the program window sometimes "takes priority" over the other programs (Just as I'm writing this post, letting the main window of "USB Safely Remove" behind, it popped up in front of my Firefox window. (Same thing if it's only the little window at the bottom-right, it popped up in front of Firefox)

My second bug disturbs me a bit more...
I will send you the report tonight, I don't have a card reader on my screen at work, to reproduce the bug :-)

Thanks !
Kilvearn

Post by Kilvearn »

Ok, I have reproduced the bug with my screen's card reader, and sent you the report as you asked !

I also noticed another bug (sorry...) :
In the options, I have selected the option that hides the icon where there is no device to disconnect. I also enabled the option to hide empty drives in the explorer. But with these two options enabled, when I put an SD card in my screen's card reader, the green arrow icon appears a moment to mention that a card had been inserted, but it disappears then ! (Even if the card is still in the reader !) So I cannot eject the card... (Oh, I also selected the option that doesn't eject the reader but only the card that is in the reader)
I hope it's clear (I'm a French speaker ;-) Sorry for my English...)

I also mentioned it with the last report I sent you.

Thanks a lot !
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

peni wrote:Ok. Now works fine for me. Thanks!! :D
Works for me, too, although it wasn't a big issue. :D
If you think Experts are expensive, wait 'til you see how much Amateurs will cost you!
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Kilvearn wrote:Ok, I have reproduced the bug with my screen's card reader, and sent you the report as you asked !

I also noticed another bug (sorry...) :
In the options, I have selected the option that hides the icon where there is no device to disconnect. I also enabled the option to hide empty drives in the explorer. But with these two options enabled, when I put an SD card in my screen's card reader, the green arrow icon appears a moment to mention that a card had been inserted, but it disappears then ! (Even if the card is still in the reader !) So I cannot eject the card... (Oh, I also selected the option that doesn't eject the reader but only the card that is in the reader)
I hope it's clear (I'm a French speaker ;-) Sorry for my English...)

I also mentioned it with the last report I sent you.

Thanks a lot !
Kilvearn, we have just released beta 3 where we fixed this bug. Could you download the latest beta version and see if this bug disappear, please?

The download link is here: http://safelyremove.com/usbsafelyremovesetupbeta.exe

Find more information about latest changes here: latest changes
Kilvearn

Post by Kilvearn »

The problem is solved, thanks a lot !! :-)

But I still have my other problem : when I shut down my screen (that has a USB Hub and a multi-card reader on it) and put it back on, the green arrow appears and remains (even if there is no inserted card in the reader, and I have enabled the option to hide the icon when there is nothing to eject (it works before I put off my screen) )

Thanks for your great work !
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Kilvearn wrote:The problem is solved, thanks a lot !! :-)

But I still have my other problem : when I shut down my screen (that has a USB Hub and a multi-card reader on it) and put it back on, the green arrow appears and remains (even if there is no inserted card in the reader, and I have enabled the option to hide the icon when there is nothing to eject (it works before I put off my screen) )

Thanks for your great work !
Kilvearn, thank you for the note and sorry for the delay with response.

We will continue to work in this problem and notify you when it will be solved.

P.S.
I'd like to specify one thing. What does "screen" mean?
Kilvearn

Post by Kilvearn »

Igor wrote: P.S.
Sorry for my English, I translated from French...
I mean "monitor" (More precisely if it can help : I have a Dell LCD monitor with an integrated USB hub and a multi-card reader (SD-card, etc.) )

When I turn off the monitor, the USB hub and card reader seem to be turn off too. (without USB Safely remove, I have the sound that Windows does when a device is unplugged)

I hope it can help you find the problem...
Thanks !
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Kilvearn wrote:
Igor wrote: P.S.
Sorry for my English, I translated from French...
I mean "monitor" (More precisely if it can help : I have a Dell LCD monitor with an integrated USB hub and a multi-card reader (SD-card, etc.) )

When I turn off the monitor, the USB hub and card reader seem to be turn off too. (without USB Safely remove, I have the sound that Windows does when a device is unplugged)

I hope it can help you find the problem...
Thanks !
Thanks for the additional information! We've probably just repeated the problem - on our test computers it reproduces when the option "Show tooltip only for displayable device" is enabled (it's located at the Notifications tab). And the problem doesn't repeat if the option "Show tooltip for all devices" is selected.

Could you see if it is the same on your computer?