USB 3 on Windows XP

Galton2

USB 3 on Windows XP

Post by Galton2 »

I have installed a USB 3 Card on my XP machine, this card uses the Resenas drivers, every thing works fine.

The only thing that does not work is the "Global Autorun" "After Device Removal" which I have programmed to run a script to indicate that the drive is no longer available and also prevent the computer from going into Hibernation until the drive is unplugged.

This same script works great with all the drives I plug in any of the ports, but when I unplug a USB 3 Drive from the ports using the Resenas drivers the script refused to run, solution for for now I have to run it manually.

It seems that Safely Remove has a difficulty recognizing a non Microsoft Driver.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Igor
Developer

Re: USB 3 on Windows XP

Post by Igor »

Hello Galton2,
Do you see this drive in USB Safely Remove? Do you see notification "the device is removed" from USB Safely Remove when you unplug the drive? Also please describe a bit more detailed what do you mean by "unplug a USB 3 Drive from the ports using the Resenas drivers". Not sure I understand right what's the way of "unpugging using Resenas drivers".
Galton2

Re: USB 3 on Windows XP

Post by Galton2 »

Since this is an old XP System the USB 3 Ports I added is with a PCI Express Card that has two USB 3.0 Ports in the back and two in the front.
The drivers for this card are the "Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller" and "Renesas USB 3.0 Root Hub" these
show in my Device Manager and everything works OK.

Due to a problem I have with this computer that if any external drive remains plugged in when the computer hibernates, on resuming, many times does not find the the NTLDR and the only way to repair is to fix the MBR using the Repair Console. Because of this I wrote a small script that every time I plug in an external drive will prevent the system from hibernating and puts a little reminder on the screen that an External drive is Connecter and the Hibernation is Suspended.

I have set up this script under the "Global Autorun" to run after a device is plugged in and to remove the script after the device is removed.

This works with all types of drives Hard Drives, USB Keys, SD Card. Except with this USB 3.0 Key this script load OK tells me that the Drive is Connected and Hibernation is suspended, but the script does not run on disconnecting the drive, I have to go and run the script manually.

Now I do not know if it is the drivers or maybe the the actual USB Key, The USB key is a "SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 32GB Drive" that is giving me this problem.

I also have Seagate USB 3.0 1GB Portable drive that I use and I have had no problem with this drive.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.