Request: An AutoPlay feature with great settings

bull

Request: An AutoPlay feature with great settings

Post by bull »

hi,

I hope my request hasn't been brought up before!

First off in Options>Behaviour USB Safely Remove nicely gives us an option to browse the device with Windows Explorer or use a user-choice file manager with path relative template. This is great.

OK, often in Windows after a some cycles of the OS the native AutoPlay feature just disappears from regularly appearing when a new usb device is plugged in. I had this probelm in XP and now I'm seeing it in Vista. It's either common malware or just a Windows problem that can be user-rectified (much like registry defragmentation).

Rather than bothering to search for error fixer apps, I would much prefer an app that can present me with a custom AutoPlay window in where I can configure settings to it and ALWAYS have it display since it won't be part of the OS just running on it like a normal app.

When I discovered USB Safely Remove software (this app) I was elated at the fact that it can 'replace' the native safely remove icon with it' own and do things properly!

Ok, I've had my rant. I would like a built-in AutoPlay feature in USB Safely Remove :) that would resemble the native autoplay but..
....with some great extra settings

To be quite honest when I'm running USB Safely Remove I would just quite like to go directly to my drive in Win Explorer and "Browse USB device" can do this however there's no setting to do that automatically - which could be included in my AutoPlay request.

This is a list of what I think should be included in the AutoPlay (* asterix mark means it NEEDS to be included):
  • This feature if user enabled; have same resemblance to the native AutoPlay except this would be USB Safely Remove's version :)
  • *Ability to enable/disable this feature (as a norm of course)
  • *Ability to disable Windows's native AutoPlay feature and replace it with this one. *Important. :)
  • *Ability to automatically "go directly" to a device in Win Explorer/choice file manager - no showing of the autoplay window :) (a separate setting)
  • Ability to custom group content with separators, on the window, like the way native autoplay groups content in the display.
  • Ability to add multiple separate win explorer/file manager instances on the autoplay window that could point to different folder paths using things like "%DriveLetter%\WorkDocs" without the quotes.
  • Drag n drop sort order arrangment of items (just like customizing a toolbar)
  • *Ability to enable this AutoPlay per usb drive or just for card readers only
  • *Exclusion lists for drive types and drive names (feature would come in good use)
  • *Ability to customize what's shown on AutoPlay Window and easily add Win Explorer/file manager/programs/commands. On native win autoplay this is not as easy and mostly apps do all that work (e.g. media player's).
  • *Ability to choose to use USB Safely Remove's theme or a plain OS visual style for window and buttons (useful).
  • Maybe some colour chooser for the background and backgrounds of each listed
  • Ability to show/hide descriptions of programs beneath each item on the AutoPlay window. When an item is added in the AutoPlay options then by default written description could be used from the executable. Description could for the item could also be editable (custom). Descriptions when shown, could show as a fainter colour and could even be italics (users would like that).
  • *Ability (setting) to keep the AutoPlay window open even after a program/win explorer/file manager has been launched
  • *Ability to customize the screen position for which the window appears + ability (second setting) to remember last screen position (think of gamers, multi-task enthusiasts etc) :)
  • A tickbox or highlight ability on the autoplay Window, to be able launch multiple programs/explorer etc at the same time. Users can use this at their own risk and coul disable this 'multi-launch' in the AutoPlay settings.
If AutoPlay is added to USB Safely Remove then I can presume that some features in the list would be left out or put back till a much later release after that.

With great liberty, I have taken some time to design a mock-up of what AutoPlay may look like under USB Safely Remove (own skin):

I am starting to think that this feature could have it's own vertical tab in Options in between "behaviour" and "look and feel"? Or would it be better if this feature was just added in Options>Behaviour for where the all it's settings could open in a separate window?

Please Igor, dearly consider my request. Thanks v much for reading.
bull

Re: Request: An AutoPlay feature with great settings

Post by bull »

Hi again Igor

What do you think of my request?
Nikolay
Developer

Post by Nikolay »

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions and I apologize for so long response.

This is very interesting idea, and we will consider implementing of this features in one of future versions of the program.
bull

Post by bull »

Thank you very much for finally replying.

Yes I need this feature so badly and I am a loyal user of USBSafelyRemove.

Please let me know in email or on this thread when this feature is ready although I understand you said you would consider.
bull

Post by bull »

I can't believe no apps exist out there that provide custom AutoPlay for Usb ports detected. This would be suhc an awesome feature for this app (usb safely remove)

Realted discussion about this here; http://superuser.com/questions/31881/is ... -windows-7
Anton
Developer

Post by Anton »

Hi bull,

Thanks. We remember about your suggestion. We will add that feature into one of future versions of the program.
bull

Post by bull »

Thanks for letting me know :)

here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoPlay
bull

Post by bull »

Please update this thread if you add the feature in future. Please update this thread just to notify me. Something like 'dear bull, we have now added this feature into [product+version]'

thank you
bull

Post by bull »

Hi again,

just to let you guys know, Kaspersky 2010 Internet Security has an instant prompt for scanning upon any disk insertion, unfortunately Kaspersky doesn't have the 'browse disk' feature that is being requested in this topic but it almost does it;
(click image to enlarge)
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

bull wrote:Hi again,

just to let you guys know, Kaspersky 2010 Internet Security has an instant prompt for scanning upon any disk insertion, unfortunately Kaspersky doesn't have the 'browse disk' feature that is being requested in this topic but it almost does it;
(click image to enlarge)
Hi Bull, thanks for noting this. Actually Windows can do the same + allows to browse the drive :)
bull

Post by bull »

Also,

an ability for tray-pop-up notification of the 'Autoplay' feature too which ties in with my other request on this forum;
bull

Post by bull »

Actually Microsoft have well-fixed the 'autoplay' feature on Windows 7. But on previous Windows (XP & Vista) this same 'autoplay' feature get's fragmented then stops appearing over time. But in Win 7 they've seemed to have fixed that.

Still USbSafelyRemove could still use this feature, with like I proposed above, more customizable settings.

I still look forward to when it is incoporated into UsbSafelyRemove/Zentimo
bull

Post by bull »

Also USBSR must give users an option to HIDE the native Windows 7 "Scan and Fix" window prompt

here is a guide on actually disabling the native "Scan and Fix" feature: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35622/di ... n-windows/

....However disabling the feature means bad news for users who use usb connected Scanners. This is why USB Safely Remove (USBSR) should hide the window OR just always silently select the "Continue without scanning" option presented under the "Scan and Fix"