Memory usage...

avoidz

Memory usage...

Post by avoidz »

Hi, nice app :)

Checking Task Manager, 12 MB seems like a lot of memory to use for such a seemingly simple program. Is there a reason it takes this much? A third of that would be nicer.

Cheers!
Aeries

Memory Usage

Post by Aeries »

I am running version 3.3.1.617 and it has a memory usage of only 3,000K on my Vista 32-bit.
- Flemming -
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

3.3.1.617 - same here (XP SP2). Mem usage is 14 MB at the moment, just after startup:

:?:
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

avoidz wrote: Checking Task Manager, 12 MB seems like a lot of memory to use for such a seemingly simple program. Is there a reason it takes this much?
First of all, thank you for the request!

Next, I'm not sure that 12 MB is "a lot of memory usage", because today's standard is about 1 GB memory "on board", so 12 MBs is about 1% of RAM space.

The program looks simple (because we try to make it as simple as possible), but it has a lot of things "under the hood", just look to the functionality list - http://safelyremove/fullFeaturesList.htm.
Aeries wrote: I am running version 3.3.1.617 and it has a memory usage of only 3,000K on my Vista 32-bit.
Windows Vista has better memory optimizer than Windows XP. Probably it doesn't count memory used by standard dlls that are used in program.
Last edited by Igor on Feb 20th, 2008, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

Thanks for the info, Igor :) Really nice program, too.

Yes, I suppose these days 12-14 MB isn't a lot of memory (I have 1.5 GB of RAM at the moment, so with XP there's plenty to spare).

Vista must "manage" memory by limiting application resources and hogging all the remaining memory for itself :P
Midnight

Memory useage

Post by Midnight »

avoidz wrote:3.3.1.617 - same here (XP SP2). Mem usage is 14 MB at the moment, just after startup:

:?:
USB safely remove is using 11.7 MB, but as mentioned, that's nothing compared to what some other programs use and with 1 GB of memory on board, there's lots to spare.

avoids, I noticed that Firefox is using over 51 MB of memory, which is worse than what USB Safely remove uses. That is caused by memory leaks which is what FF is notorious for.
Totally off topic, I know.
I would like to suggest that you download and install a little Utility called Firefox Ultimate Optimizer which will reduce the amount of memory FF uses and improve it's performance.

Download it from here:

Code: Select all

http://firefox-ultimate-optimizer.en.softonic.com/
Extract into an empty folder and run the Utility. It will install an icon on your Taskbar, where you can right click and configure it.

Notice the Difference? Click on the Image for a better view.

If you think Experts are expensive, wait 'til you see how much Amateurs will cost you!
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

@Midnight - Yeah, 51 MB for Firefox is low (at the moment it's about 60 MB; and goes as high as 101 MB. I wish Mozilla would do something about that :?

Wouldn't a Firefox optimizer just drastically lower the cache usage? I don't have a lightning quick broadband, so page caching is quite useful.

Cheers :)

EDIT: Well from what I've read - http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/12/firefo ... optimizer/ - the Firefox Ultimate Optimizer is just snake oil. It just moves RAM usage into Virtual Memory and eats CPU cycles. Given the choice, I'd stick with physical RAM being used by Firefox.