Two things I'm a bit confused about

Paultx

Two things I'm a bit confused about

Post by Paultx »

First, with the newest version, when I insert a USB pen drive sometimes I get two messages from the program: one saying the device was loaded, other saying it was inserted. As far as I can remember, only the latter message was shown in previous versions.

Second, when I insert a Sony Bloggie camera then try to remove it using the program, I have to close, like, three devices before finally removing it. The program warns me that I must do so to be safe. (Sorry, I'm posting this far from where I can give you the exact info)
Me: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12GB RAM
Me 2: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6GB RAM
Wife: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit • Intel Dual Core • 2GB RAM
Daughter: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit • Intel Dual Core • 3GB RAM
Igor
Developer

Re: Two things I'm a bit confused about

Post by Igor »

Hello Paul,
Paultx wrote:First, with the newest version, when I insert a USB pen drive sometimes I get two messages from the program: one saying the device was loaded, other saying it was inserted. As far as I can remember, only the latter message was shown in previous versions.
Can you tell us what exactly is said in these messages, please? Or just attach here their screenshots.
Paultx wrote:Second, when I insert a Sony Bloggie camera then try to remove it using the program, I have to close, like, three devices before finally removing it. The program warns me that I must do so to be safe. (Sorry, I'm posting this far from where I can give you the exact info)
It also would be great if you post a screenshot here (you can do this e.g. with this free tool).
Paultx

Post by Paultx »

1. As I said before, it happens sometimes, not all the time. And I'm not sure, but I'll check if it happens on all of my PCs.

Sometimes after that comes another notification saying that the device has been inserted. It happens not only with this particular device, but also with regular USB pen drives.

• • • •

2. That's the notification that first appears when I plug in the Sony Bloggie camera (it's turned off).

If I put the mouse pointer over the USBSR icon in the system tray it shows (camera still off):

Then I turn on the camera, and that's what appears:

It's about PMB, a Sony Bloggie app (it's in Brazilian Portuguese, my mother tongue).

Then this:

When I try to remove the camera normally:

So I remove these drives (F:, G:, and H:) manually. After that I try to remove the camera again normally and get the very same warning:

Then I click Yes to be done.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Paultx,
Thanks for the detailed explanations!

When you first connect your camera it behaves in the system like a usual non-storage device and USB Safely Remove displays the notification about it. Then when you turn on the camera it installs its drives into the system. For the system things look like you loaded the memory cards into the card reader device so USB Safely Remove displays the message about it.

I suppose that if you connect your camera into the computer when it's switched on the program will display only one notification.

If you do not like that your camera is displayed like a card reader you can set this option in the device settings:

If you have any recommendations regarding the mentioned behavior feel free to let us know.
Paultx

Post by Paultx »

This morning I turned my desktop PC on, plugged in a USB pen drive and first came the "Loaded" notification, then the "Inserted" one shown below. But I could capture only the latter... I tried to reproduce the whole stuff, but it didn't happen again. Which makes me think there are certain unknown conditions for USBSR to show both notifications. First time in a day, maybe?

Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Paultx wrote:This morning I turned my desktop PC on, plugged in a USB pen drive and first came the "Loaded" notification, then the "Inserted" one shown below. But I could capture only the latter... I tried to reproduce the whole stuff, but it didn't happen again. Which makes me think there are certain unknown conditions for USBSR to show both notifications. First time in a day, maybe?

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the information! Now I understand what messages do you mean. Actually this are correct messages since the system first loads and install the device and only then it mounts a file system for the device. Usually the time interval between loading the device and mounting the file system is very short so the program displays only one message. But some times (I suppose it starts to happen when the system became too overloaded with another software installations) this interval might became too long and we start to display to notifications, because the program first sees the only device and then (say 3 seconds later) the program sees the the drive letter was added to the device.

We will think about this problem, perhaps we can reduce the number of the messages that program shows.